Low back pain causes more disability than any other condition. Roughly 90% of people will experience back pain at some point. Factors leading to these statistics include ageing populations, inactive lifestyles, poor postures and increasing obesity.
OUR TOP 5 TIPS FOR PREVENTING BACK PAIN:
1. STAY ACTIVE - The best treatment and prevention for low back pain is activity. Remaining active allows you to maintain spinal mobility and strength. Aim for at least 20-30minutes of exercise daily.
2. SAFE LIFTING - Whether its a heavy or lighter load, safe lifting technique will reduce the strain on your lower back and reduce the risk of injury. Small changes in lifting such as bending from your knees and holding the load close to your body can have a big impact on the health of your back.
3. AVOID PROLONGED SITTING - Our backs were designed for movement. So why wouldn't we keep them mobile? Preventing prolonged sitting and standing can help reduce stiffness and loads through your spine. Aim to change positions every hour where possible.
4. IMPROVE POSTURE - Poor sitting posture in particular, creates increased pressure and load through your spine. By making some minor changes to your posture can have a big effect on back pain.
5. CORE STRENGTH - Strengthening your lower back and core stabilising muscles will allow for improved support and stability around your spine, improved posture and efficiency of movement. Research shows that core strength reduces the incidence of lower back pain.
At Melbourne Sports & Spinal Physiotherapy we specialise in the treatment and prevention of lower back pain. If you are suffering from, or would like some further tips on how to prevent back pain contact us today.